[c-nsp] Cat 4500 series High CPU

Terry Rupeni rupeni_t at usp.ac.fj
Wed Aug 31 17:53:59 EDT 2011

Hi All,

We have a Cat4506 facing high CPU. Investigating further we have narrowed it
down to the following on the Cisco Bug Report:

High CPU due to Mgmt LoPri process, MAC addresses being added/deleted
Symptom:
A Catalyst 4500 switch might experience high CPU utilization due to the
Cat4k Mgmt LoPri process and the K2CpuMan and K2L2 Address Table reviews
(show platform health. High CPU utilization does not impact the traffic
switched in hardware.

Conditions:
The problem is seen when a large MAC address table exists and when the
switch is frequently relearning MAC addresses on multiple VLANs. Enabling
service internal followed by debug platform log feature k2l2addresstable
will show output similar to the following. Do not enable these commands on a
production switch unless instructed by Cisco TAC.

However no solution is recommended by Cisco. As this is a production switch
don't really want to do a debug right now.

Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Thks

Terry