[c-nsp] WARNING: Netflow Data Export & Hardware assisted NAT not supported on 76xx/65xx on the same interface

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 21:48:58 EDT 2011

On 8/29/2011 8:58 AM, Jeff Bacon wrote:
> It's un-called-for, certainly.
Unfortunate to hear that.  It was brief and to the point.  If a 6500 NAT
knowledgeable person would have been hired, they would have steered
clear of it.  Design around it.

> It's the problem of some smaller firms, especially in this business niche. We can't afford to do RFPs for everything,
What do RFPs have to do with it?  RFPs are typically SUPER counter
productive and would have been 100% useless to the OP's issue.
> and while we have talented staff,
If by "we" you mean the trading industry, yes you have some serious
talent pools there.  I've done my fair business in the trading business
and there are some top notch talent in that industry.
> sometimes we're just stuck doing a "attempt to do it and hope it works" because that's the speed the business is moving at, and since your guess is right 80% of the time, you take that bet because better that than slow down the entire process 100% of the time.
True.  I've been there.  But I know as well as you do there is a lot of
money running across these networks.  IMO the talent and knowledge is
there, you just have to find it.  Whether it's a referral or searching,
that diligence is up to the purchaser/owner of the equipment.
> On the other hand, if you've been using the platform for about so long, it should be fairly obvious at this point that not everything works as described and just because it's documented - or not-documented - doesn't mean it will work.
That's exactly my point.  I explicitly stay far away from NAT on the
6500s.  Just because a feature is there at your disposal doesn't mean
you should use it.

> The reality, as I can determine, is that not even Cisco really knows what does and does not work when it comes to the 6500.
They have a good handle on it.  But, some don't.  And, a lot of people
don't have experience in the trading vertical.  So, how can you assume
they understand their business and what their needs are?

tv