[c-nsp] Cisco 6k no power enable module

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 10:37:08 EST 2011

On 12/1/2011 3:52 PM, Mark Mason wrote:
> We also just labbed a VS-S720-10G running 122-33.SXJ1 and were able to shut a slot down without a module installed. Unfortunately we ALSO were able to incorrectly install a WS-X6748-GE-TX and cause the 3 second bus disruption. Anyone else run into this?
>
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 6
> %FRU Absent. Power admin state updated
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 6
> % slot is already disabled and not yet enabled
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 7
> %FRU Absent. Power admin state updated
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 7
> % slot is already disabled and not yet enabled
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 8
> %FRU Absent. Power admin state updated
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 8
> % slot is already disabled and not yet enabled
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 9
> %FRU Absent. Power admin state updated
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#no power enable module 9
> % slot is already disabled and not yet enabled
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#
> *Dec  1 21:14:36.304: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 8 set off (admin request)
> 6509-v-e-test(config)#
> *Dec  1 21:15:07.123: %OIR-SP-6-REMCARD: Card removed from slot 8, interfaces disabled
> *Dec  1 21:15:11.027: %C6KERRDETECT-SP-2-SWBUSSTALL: The switching bus is experiencing stall for 3 seconds
> *Dec  1 21:15:16.063: %C6KERRDETECT-SP-2-SWBUSSTALL_RECOVERED: The switching bus stall is recovered and data traffic switching continues
> *Dec  1 21:15:18.283: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 8 set off (admin request)
>

> Mark

The bus stall HAS to occur (and will occur) as to not corrupt data on
insert and removal.  This is why it is imperative that a) you do this
during maintenance windows b) use DFCs.

You may not get the message all the time but it still occurs.  So, I
would say you installed in correctly.  If you would have installed it
incorrectly, the box would have crashed.

As for powering down a slot with no card, I never tried that.
Interesting :)

tv