[c-nsp] Cisco 650x sup2 / sup32 configuration - what makes sense?

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Wed Dec 7 18:09:53 EST 2011

Hi Jeff,
The issue is more likely the port asic buffering here.  Just a hunch,
but do you have any 10Mb ports connected close to your 1Gb interfaces on
the 6148-GE-TX?

Ports share buffers in blocks of 8: 1-8, 9-16, etc...

If you have a 10Mb or 100Mb port in line with a 1Gb interface, you can
have contention for buffers easily.  There are some commands we can use
to check this:
show counters interface gigabitEthernet x/y | include qos3Outlost

remote login switch
show platform hardware asicreg pinnacle slot x port y err (cleared on read)

You could also do some slightly intrusive debugging where we reduce the
port buffers but are able to see which ports are truly oversubscribed
and affecting the others:
Here are the commands needed to disable head of line blocking on this
type of card:
6500(config)#service internal
6500(config)#interface gigabit 1/1
6500(config-if)#hol-blocking disable
%HOL Blocking is Disabled on: Gi1/1 Gi1/2 Gi1/3 Gi1/4 Gi1/5 Gi1/6 Gi1/7
Gi1/8

Verify hol-blocking is disabled:
6500#show hol-blocking module 1

Interface         Hol-Blocking
-------------- ---------------
Gi1/1             Disable
Gi1/2             Disable
Gi1/3             Disable
Gi1/4             Disable
Gi1/5             Disable
Gi1/6             Disable
Gi1/7             Disable
Gi1/8             Disable

Once this is disabled, the drops will move to the interface counters and
can be seen with 'show interface gigabit <mod/port>'.  Since it is
recommended to keep hol-blocking enabled, this information can be used
to find the device that is overrunning the buffers on the range of port
and move it to another card or an isolated range on the card so
hol-blocking can be re-enabled.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco