[c-nsp] RANCID Alternative - was HEADS UP: vlan_mgr crashing in NX-OS 5.2(3)

Daniel Hooper dhooper at gold.net.au
Tue Dec 13 06:01:21 EST 2011

> On Dec 13, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> Hey,
>
> just a quick heads up, maybe someone is hitting that, too. Since
> upgrading our test Nexus 7000 from 5.2(1) to 5.2(3) this morning we
> have a failover due to a crashing vlan_mgr process every hour. It
> turns out "sh vlan" (which is executed by RANCID every hour) reliably
> kills the box.

>> Let me know if you have any better results than we did in asking Cisco to use rancid in their test suite.
>> We have seen numerous bugs that were caught by rancid (including crash info that testing folks should have  observed imho).
>>
>>	- Jared

Hi,

Just on the topic of rancid and Cisco, I've seen a couple of alternative methods posted around the place recently of different ways to keep a device config backed up and was just curious as to whether people are using these instead of rancid?

I've seen people talk about using SNMP and also a kron script to automatically upload the config to a remote web/ftp server, is this a newer better way?