[c-nsp] Recommendation for small GBit router

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Dec 16 10:14:07 EST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 5:33 AM, Robert Hass wrote:

>> Cisco-wise you'll find nothing that can push bandwidth. The cheapest
>> option you have would probably be a WS-3560, but you'll need an
>> "advanced ip services" image which does not come for free.
>
> But 3560 doesn't provide netflow at all (even sampled). And no SVI statistics.
> So it's out of requirements.

Sometimes it's easier to just do a SPAN and look at that instead of running flow on the device.

I was also going to suggest the 3560 as it's "cheap-enough" and works relatively well.  You have to reconfigure it to run IPv6 by default in my experience, and keep notes on how to do this since it's not saved in a 'wr mem', so won't automatically be saved if you need to swap the device.

Wish Cisco would actually save these parts of the config but having a recoverable device isn't a priority apparently.

- Jared