[c-nsp] Hierarchical Route Reflector

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Dec 17 03:15:11 EST 2011

On Saturday, December 17, 2011 02:09:56 AM Thomas Bowlby
wrote:

> I currently see two options for configuring ospf:
> option1:infinity metric (max-metric router-lsa)
>                 pros:ease of configuration; creates a
> 'stub' router-effectively advertising router-lsa with
> metric 65535 cons:

This is what we do, albeit with IS-IS (Overload Bit = ON).

If you're running an MPLS network, we also don't enable MPLS
on the route reflectors. If your route reflector is a Cisco,
this just works. If it's a Juniper, you have to hack it a
little more in order to get the route reflector to announce
l3vpn routes to clients when in a state where it's not
running MPLS; doable.

We've been happy - running this topology across two separate
networks for years now. One runs Cisco 7201's as route
reflectors, while the other runs Juniper M120's as route
reflectors.

Cheers,

Mark.