[c-nsp] mLACP at 6500

Jeroen van Ingen jeroen at zijndomein.nl
Wed Dec 21 11:28:17 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 11:41 +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 21/12/11 11:02, Mark Berly wrote:
>
> > Arista Networks has a similar feature called MLAG which allows
> > active-active paths with no vlan restrcitions and an active-active gateway
> > functionality. It is worth looking into if you are looking to implement
> > this type feature
>
> Plenty of kit does these days. Extreme x-series, Cisco Nexus, etc.
> It's not new/special any more.

Well, sometimes it *is* new/special in the sense that switch-to-switch
multichassis LAG can be a challenge to implement correctly along with
other features. Stuff like STP, IGMP Snooping & multicast forwarding and
DHCP snooping come to mind.

So even though plenty of kit does it, I believe plenty of kit have its
caveats when using multichassis LAG / LACP.

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands