[c-nsp] shaping w/sub interfaces - drops

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:11:59 EST 2011

Hello,

I'm wondering if its possible to eliminate drops using shaping?  I
have a sub interface set-up for guest access and I want to limit all
access to 3mbps and http access to 2mbps.  If I apply a policy to the
sub interface I continuously see drops on the http class when it runs
in and around 2mbps.  Its just web browsing so I don't ever want to
drop the packets just retransmit.

I have the following configured:

class-map match-all http
 match protocol http

policy-map guest-output
 class http
  shape peak 2000000 500000 250000
 class class-default
  shape average 3000000 256000

policy-map guest-input
 class guest-upload
    police 750000 100000 1000 conform-action transmit  exceed-action
drop  violate-action drop

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.823
 encapsulation dot1Q 823
 ip address 10.7.184.1 255.255.255.0
 ip access-group wifiguest in
 ip helper-address 10.4.0.5
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip nbar protocol-discovery
 ip flow ingress
 ip flow egress
 ip virtual-reassembly
 ip policy route-map router-astarogw
 service-policy input guest-input
 service-policy output guest-output

I am also seeing drops on the physical interface G0/0.  I tried to
apply a policy and it says I cannot do any shaping when shaping is
already applied to a sub interface.  Do I need to apply a policy to
the G0/0 interface first, and then apply a policy to shape certain
traffic on the sub interface?

Any hints, ideas or configuration examples would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.