[c-nsp] BGP/EIGRP Route Determination

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 17:56:08 EST 2011

Brian,

Given your config, what you are seeing is the *expected behavior*

Wrt <snip>....25% of the time it works:
It does so because EIGRP has taken longer to converge.

Essentially, if you desire failover&failback to work as-You-want, you have two options:

1) lower "weight" to 32767 as opposed to the current-50000 for you inbound bgp updates(whether you do so for all-updates via default-weight OR via an inbound route-map is up to you. I prefer the route-map approach.)
2) leave 50k in place for in-bound bgp updates and change what you inject into bgp via your eigrp-to-bgp redistribution statement; with a route-map so as to set the weight to 49999 for prefix/s being redistributed to target-protocol - bgp in this case.

What you are seeing is because of the bgp weight-attribute-value not protocol-AD.

Leave protocol-AD's at their defaults:

EIGRP(I) 90
EIGRP(E) 170
EIGRP (summ) 5

BGP - 20(e)200(i)200(loc)

On a separate yet related note:

If I were you, I would take a long hard look at the your-architecture and ask myself the following:

1) IS mutual-redistribution really necessary(bgp-eigrp-bgp)
2) WHY am I redistributing iBGP into eBGP(the redis bgp-internal statement in your rtr-b bgp config)

HTH
./Randy