[c-nsp] shaping outbound

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Sun Dec 25 13:02:55 EST 2011

Dan,

If I read your request correctly, you are not an ISP, but just want to manage your site's ISP connection... Right?
If this is true, you most likely do not want to police your class-default...

You should most likely police any specific class with traffic that is known to overload the link (for example downloads, YouTube, etc) but let the other kinds of traffic be able to burst to the full line speed (assuming they are not overloading it constantly).
If your link is 50M (like you state), and you apply the below policy, on average, your link would never get to over 30Mbps...

BTW, if you have abusive UDP applications (very rare in normal Internet environments) than "it's too late" to police, even though it is not completely useless, as the final effect would be that the specific UDP based application, which in reality needs (let's say) 20Mbps, but you allow it only 10Mbps, would starve for bandwidth, and the users would not get the actual thing to work properly. So if they are "your" users (for example if you are the IT person at the same company), you would eventually get a call ;-)

Arie