[c-nsp] shaping outbound

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:23:17 EST 2011

Excellent info Anton.  This has help immensely.

I have tested the configuration example that you have shown me and it
seems to work very well.  I added a class in the shape-down policy-map
for http and shaped it to 2M just for testing.

policy-map shape-down
 class http
  shape average 2000000 256000 128000
  queue-limit 32768 packets
 class class-default
  shape average 40000000
  service-policy qos-down

It works, but I had to add the queue-limit 32768 packets (i know this
is a large number), as the default is 64 packets.  If I left it at 64
packets I would see many drops in my test environment which makes
sense as I am hammering a 2M http policy.   I just needed to see this
to make sense of it all.

>From my understanding, when the traffic load is too much for the
allotted bandwidth the queue would need to be increased or the
bandwidth needs to be increased?

If I wanted shape a website, for example youtube.com, would it be best
to mark it on the incoming interface with a dscp marking and then
shape that dscp marking on the output interface?  I tried this, but
with no success, I was only able to drop the traffic, and not shape
it.

Now my next stumbling block is how to shape my sub interfaces for my
guest networks on the router.  It seems as if you are not allowed to
add shaping even with a child/parent policy map.....

Dan.