[c-nsp] Interpreting DOM outputs

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Sat Dec 31 13:18:50 EST 2011

Hi Rob,
-4.9 dBm is indeed stronger than -6.9dBm.
For example:
-4.9 dBm is  .32mW
-6.9 dBm is  .20mW

These are negative values since 0dBm is the reference point of 1mW and
you are looking at values below this.

A greater value indicates higher power.  So, you can say this is usually
better, except in the extreme cases where you are flooding the receive
path with too much light, maybe connecting different transceivers over
short distances for example (LX and SX over 1m).

Anton made a good point - there can be some variance in these
measurements from component to component so don't use them as absolute
fact, but rather look at the data over time which can indicate a fiber
or even a transceiver problem.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco