[c-nsp] switch interface down but passing traffic

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 2 02:35:21 EST 2011

Hi,

got hit by a quite interesting bug in the CBS3020 switches yesterday:

sw2-int.blau#sh int g0/24
GigabitEthernet0/24 is up, line protocol is down (disabled)

this interface is "up/down" since about a day, and happily forwarding
packets.  It does *not* do CDP, which is how we noticed (we monitor
CDP relationships to see topology/device changes).

This is a WS-CBS3020-HPQ, running cbs30x0-ipbase-mz.122-53.SE1, and
the interface config is really trivial:

interface GigabitEthernet0/24
 description Trunk to sw1-int.blau:gi0/24
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 79-82,87-89
 switchport mode trunk
 media-type internal
end

... and no matter what I do (shut/no shut on either end, change
media-type to external/internal) will bring the port back to up/up.

Shutting down the other end will bring the port to down/down, so it's
still noticing something :-) - but unshutting will bring it back to up/down.

"errdisable autorecovery" didn't help either.

Weird, eh?

Question to the list: has one of you seen this, and found a way to un-stick
the port without rebooting?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de