[c-nsp] rate-limit 2 subinterfaces with shared bandwidth

Benjamin Lovell belovell at cisco.com
Thu Feb 3 15:54:41 EST 2011

Your problem will be that you want both shared limit at 8mbit and guarantied BW for one at 4mbit on input. This could be accomplished on egress but not on ingress. The only way to guaranty 4mbit ingress for one interface is to make sure the other never uses more that 4 and even then you are depending on TCP congestion. A large UDP stream could still kill this as by the time you drop on ingress you have already come across the link and use the BW.

BTW, even on egress you will not get what you want with rate-limit commands. You will need to use MQC commands.

-Ben

On Feb 3, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Rens wrote:

> Maybe I didn't explain myself very well but, here is what I want to do:
>

> Fa0/0 = WAN at 10 Mbps
>

> Fa0/1.100 & Fa0/1.101 currently rate-limited each at 8 Mbps
>

> rate-limit input 8192000 1536000 2048000 conform-action transmit
> exceed-action drop
>
> rate-limit output 8192000 1536000 2048000 conform-action transmit
> exceed-action drop
>

> But Fa0/1.100 & Fa0/1.101 should never go over 8 Mbps together so they won't
> saturate my 10 Mbps WAN and always have 2 Mbps left

>>> 2)      never use over 8 Mbps together