[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Feb 4 08:12:14 EST 2011

Howdy,

I think most folks can agree that the amount of traffic on the Internet is being carried by 6500/7600 series gear is probably a pretty big percentage. This is most likely mainly due to cost, density, and performance (despite their flaws). The other nice thing about them is that they are everywhere, so they have a good community of users.

What new platform from Cisco or whomever do you think is, or will become the "next 6500/7600" in terms of how many companies are going to use them, performance, cost, density? I don't have any hard numbers to back this up (aside from earnings numbers from Cisco) but I'm guessing the number of Nexus 7000s replacing 6500s has been pretty disappointing to Cisco.

So is the 6500 = Nexus 7000 and the 7600 = ASR 9K or does the flow chart skew?

thanks,
-Drew