[c-nsp] Opinions about the next 6500/7600

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Fri Feb 4 17:27:19 EST 2011

The cost per gigabit is not at parity yet for low gigabit rates.
If you are maxing out a 7600 then a ASR 9K is definitely the next step.
The ASR 9K seems to be very mature for its age.

The requirement for full IPv4 tables is governed by multi-homed bgp customers connected at the aggregation layer.

As for the maturity level, we have a number of bug cases open on every platform we use.
We have customers that recently deployed N7K gear and were less than happy with the number of bugs encountered.
We would rather not expose our customers to the less mature (and it is less mature) code.

Curiously the ASR 1K which is a newer platform was very well conceived and has been relatively bug free.

Server refresh cycle is generally 18 months to 2 years while router refresh cycles are 5 to 10 years.
And yes we have acquisitions with 10 year old hardware.

Mack McBride
Network Architect