[c-nsp] IOS XR - vrrp and protocol tracking

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 21:22:00 EST 2011

Hi,

We have a relatively simple setup with two ASR9k (running 3.9.1)
providing a virtual gateway (using VRRP) for a set of servers
(appliances) connected through a few switches. VRRP is augumented with
BFD for faster detection of problems. VRRP runs on subinterfaces. When
BFD detects that the other side is gone as expected assumes the IP
address and forwarding from the servers continues. Towards the servers
though the forwarding is broken, as the 'local' interface remains up
and connected network is still in the routing table. We can run BFD
with the appliances (only one appliance per vlan), but we have not
found way to take the subinterface down based on bfd status. we can do
this for static routes, but not for connected interfaces.
Any ideas on how this could be fixed? I want the ASR that does not
have visibility of the appliance (using BFD) to NOT advertise the
connected network.

kind regards
Pshem