[c-nsp] Throuput Issues with Trunk Between Switches

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Tue Feb 8 09:38:07 EST 2011

On 08/02/2011, at 3:13 PM, Erik Fritzler wrote:

>    Smart Bits----->Access port--->Cisco Switch-->Trunk-->Cisco Switch-->Access Port--->Smart Bits
>    If we leave the connection between the 2 switches as an access port link then we can test across at full 1.0Gbps.
>    However, it the link between the switches is configured as a trunk we experience packet loss.
>    The smaller the packets, the higher the throughput, the higher the errors.
>    We have tried both ISL and dot1q trunks, as well as setting the nonegotiate setting on all the ports.
>    Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I haven't seen this - but I haven't tested for this sort of stress either. Which switches are you running?

Where are you dropping the packets? you may want to check show controllers/ show interface controllers.

You have changed the buffer allocation by changing between access and trunk ports.

Cheers

Andrew