[c-nsp] VTP war stories (was Re: EoMPLS or VPLS loop prevention/storm control)

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Wed Feb 9 18:04:12 EST 2011

I'd agree that vtp can cause major problems if not deployed with caution
& mechanisms to mitigate disasters.  we have a huge lan infrastructure
here with over 65,000 edge ports.  what we do is divide the
campus/enterprise into 18 vtp domains so if there is a layer2 or vtp
meltdown this doesn't affect all of campus; also the core switch (in
this case 6509 w/sup720-3bxl) per vtp domain is the sole designated vtp
"server" mode device (this is important) as well as the root bridge
(fine-tune stp cost to do so); all others are in client mode or
transparent.  for edge or distribution switches, it also important to
change default "server" mode to client (or transparent) -- again this is
important to avoid usurping the vtp domains. vtp comes in handy when
dealing with large amount of ports and one doesn't want to hand
configure vlan to port mapping manually; however as already mention all
of this is not without risks.

when our current network was deployed intially about 7 years ago, we had
periodic spanning-tree meltdown per vtp domain, but never to all 18 vtp
domain at the same time; root cause was typical offenders:
* misbehaving gear that seized control as root bridge
* dumb hub connecting multiple vlans
* etc.

over the years, cisco ios has had many vtp/stp/layer-2 bugs worked out;
and I'd say one doesn't see as much issues in this area as was in the
past; but caution is always a good thing.

--
Regards,
Ge Moua

Network Design Engineer