[c-nsp] VTP war stories (was Re: EoMPLS or VPLS loop prevention/storm control)

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Thu Feb 10 04:05:56 EST 2011

Re Randy,

randy_94108 at yahoo.com (Randy) wrote:

> Wrt to VTP:
> I think a better approach for Cisco would be to have it ship in *Transparent Mode*(IOS)/*OFF*(CAT OS) and better-document where the concept of vlan-database does/doesn't apply with regard to how it is accessed!

I totally concur with that. Like probably everyone on this list, I, too,
have experienced a VTP meltdown (yes, in the core, totally, entirely,
20 switches to walk up to) in my time, and totally loathe Cisco's default.

We do now make sure to have all switches in "transparent" and to have a
different password on each switch. No VTP for us, thanks.

Elmar.