[c-nsp] MPLS VRRP redundancy

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Feb 15 08:02:34 EST 2011

[posting this question three times using different subjects doesn't
really increase chance for a reply?]

> I have an MPLS network with Alcatel 7750 PEs and Cisco routers 2801 as
CEs
> using BGP routing.
> I want to have one on the the PE as a primary and the other as
secondary
> using VRRP and /29 ips. Please help

For the PE->CE direction, you would need to work with BGP localpref or
other attributes to influence the BGP path selection on all of the other
PEs to chose the active over the standby PE. I can't speak for the
7750s, but if those were Cisco PEs, this would not prevent CEs directly
connected to the PE you denoted as backup to use the directly connected
route (directly connected routes are generally preferred), so this PE-CE
connection on the standby would actually be used for some traffic. If
you can't accept this, you would need to work with more specific statics
(for example two /30 or a couple of /32) only originated by the primary,
but this isn't really "nice"..

In the other direction (CE --> PE), VRRP priority allows to influence
active/standby role just fine...

	oli