[c-nsp] Anycast Questions

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 16 03:19:16 EST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:57:32PM +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> It works like a charm. When you need to service a machine you just stop
> the BGPd and do your thing, nobody notices. (Unless they're really smart
> and look carefully of course.)

Which makes "monitoring whether everything is fine" a somewhat more
interesting challenge :-) - if the machine is up, but bgpd fails, the
service might silently fall over to another instance and things like
"does this anycasted DNS server still respond?" will happily report
success...

(We do this for our DNS anycast server by querying for "hostname.bind"
and comparing that with "what should the value be when queried from
*there*?")

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de