[c-nsp] 6509 DC power question-

Luke Pack luke.pack at t6mail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:52:29 EST 2011

Greetings everyone,

We have a 6509 switch with sup2 engines.  For upgrade capability, we
have the 2500W DC power supplies in this.  I have an A/C unit with the
same engines/cards at a separate location, therefore I expect this
unit to require the same amount of power.  Here is the "show power"
from the A/C unit in production:

#########show power
system power redundancy mode = redundant
system power total =     1153.32 Watts (27.46 Amps @ 42V)
system power used =      1011.78 Watts (24.09 Amps @ 42V)
system power available =  141.54 Watts ( 3.37 Amps @ 42V)

At the location, it looks like we are only going to get 50A dropped to
our rack.  This drop will be ONLY for the 6509.  In the documentation,
they say 70A input is needed for these 2500W PSUs

My question is this:
Given that my power requirements on the unit are below even 1300W,
will the 2500W power supply run/work on the 50A provided just with
lower output or is the 70A absolutely necessary?  If 50A will not work
I will simply order 1300W DC Power supplies and save the 2500W ones
until such time as we upgrade to sup720s etc.

Thanks for your input,

--
Luke Pack