[c-nsp] Router recommendation for small ISP

Josh Baird joshbaird at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:31:51 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm looking for a router recommendation for a very small ISP.  The
router will terminate two ethernet circuits from two upstream ISPs - a
total of around 100mbit between the two ISPs.  The router will have a
BGP session with each provider and should be able to handle full
tables from both.  In addition, the router will play via iBGP with
other routers on my network.  Beyond that, I don't have many
requirements.

The router will be uplinked to a 3560 (a "core" in this scenario).
I'm assuming that the router will need at least two FE interfaces for
upstream ISP connections, and one (or more) GB connections to uplink
to my 3560:

<ISP 1>& <ISP 2> ===== [3845] ---- [3560]

Firstly, is this how you would approach connectivity between the
router and the core?

Secondly, I was thinking about a 3845 with 1GB of RAM for this
project.  Is this sufficient?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Thanks,

Josh