[c-nsp] ASA 5505 doesn't like itself

Christopher J. Wargaski wargo1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 22:01:11 EST 2011

Hey Mike--

   It looks t me like you are tying to ping an IP address that is on the
untrusted interface by way of the inside interface. The ASA will not do
that. Given that the destination IP address is on a connected subnet, the
ASA knows the route. Try your ping again without the word "inside" and see
what happens.

interface Vlan2
 nameif outside
 security-level 0
 ip address 64.183.175.22 255.255.255.252
!

ping inside 64.183.175.21
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 64.183.175.21, timeout is 2 seconds:
?????
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

   If I try to ping my ASA's default route specifying the inside interface
as the path to take out, the ping fails just like yours did.

cjw

Message: 8