[c-nsp] packet generator software?

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Fri Feb 18 13:11:58 EST 2011

It depends on how much traffic you need, how much control you want over it,
andwhat kind of traffic pattern you need (IMIX, etc...) among other things.
 I've had good luck with iperf/jperf, and some of the web traffic generators
for just generic traffic generation.  On the other side of the spectrum I've
used IXIA for some of the more exact requirements.  They have a box and a
virtual appliance you can use for some granular testing.  You can also run
BGP, mpls, etc with the IXIA and simulate multiple flows based on the
routing table.  Overall it really depends what you're trying to test.