[c-nsp] Router bakeoff tools, methodology and metrics?

Rick Martin rick.martin at arkansas.gov
Tue Feb 22 10:59:38 EST 2011

 We are a currently a Cisco network (have 3 Juniper's out of about 2500 routers) and it is time to refresh our Customer Edge routers which are predominantly 1841's and 2811's. Our senior management has requested that we run a bakeoff with Cisco, Juniper and HP to determine our best option for CE routers.

 We have not performed a "REAL" bakeoff in the past, we typically let our perception and experience influence our decisions on what routers to place in the network. This time we must let the numbers speak for themselves.

 Since we have not performed a real bakeoff in the past I am turning to the list to solicit information from those of you that have experience in this area - would you care to share with us any or all of the following that you have experience with?

1. Tools used to perform the tests
2. Methodology for the tests
3. Metrics used
4. Selection criteria (what makes the winner)

 Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us.

Rick Martin
Network Architect
State of Arkansas, Department of Information Systems