[c-nsp] CRC Errors on Ethernet Router

Kasper Adel karim.adel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:37:56 EST 2011

Hi,

Usually when Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) errors are incrementing in the
show interface command output, it indicates that the cyclic redundancy
checksum generated by the originating LAN/WAN device does not match the
checksum calculated from the data received. On a LAN, this usually indicates
noise or transmission problems on the LAN interface or cable. A high number
of CRCs is usually the result of collisions or a station transmitting bad
data.

So we can safely assume that CRCs are a very critical alarm and it can not
be ignored so I don’t think there should be a threshold in general, the NMS
should monitor interfaces for CRCs and if the number increments then an
immediate check is needed, we are talking on the core links here. So we cant
wait till the counter increments.

Once we have CRCs, then we have a bad cable, port or router and this needs
immediate attention.

Regards,
Kim