[c-nsp] Searching for cheap IPv6 NAT-PT Cisco-device

Piotr Wojciechowski peper at peper.eu.org
Fri Feb 25 10:00:11 EST 2011

On 2/25/11 2:17 PM, Andreas Mueller wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> I would like to connect IPv4-only devices like printers to an IPv6-only
> Network and I thought about doing this with NAT-PT on a cisco-device. To
> play around with NAT-PT and do some tests I need a cheap device.
> According to the cisco document "Implementing NAT-PT for IPv6"
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-nat_trnsln_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html)
>
> I need IOS 12.4(2)T if I want to use all the available features. What is
> the cheapest cisco-device with at least two or better four fast ethernet
> ports running IOS 12.4(2)T to evaluate, if configuring NAT-PT is a
> solution for my problem ?
>
>     greetings and thanks for help,

Hello Andreas,

In general performance of NAT64 is not really high. I remember on Cisco
2801 ~4Mbit was all I could get. I used one of the latest 12.4T release,
12.4(24)T as far as I remember. The smaller reasonable device to play
with would be Cisco 1841 but it's also available on 870 and 880
platform. Of course for the production network I'd check how much
traffic it's going to handle (and not only in number of TCP sessions
that have to be translated but throughput itself, because NAT64 is
process switched since 12.4(20)T, until that it was fast switched).

Regards,
--
Piotr Wojciechowski  (CCIE #25543)  | "The trouble with being a god is
http://ccieplayground.wordpress.com | that you've got no one to pray to"