[c-nsp] NSR and GRES

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Feb 27 00:17:30 EST 2011

On Sunday, February 27, 2011 08:04:04 am David water wrote:

> Any good documentation on NSR or GRES that some one can
> point me to?

GRES would be more appropriate on the 'j-nsp' mailing list,
as that's Juniper terminology.

The equivalent on the Cisco side is SSO.

> I am looking for the functionality and
> design recommendation?

It mostly comes down to protocol support and maturity.

Graceful Restart (what Cisco call NSF) has greater protocol
support and is generally considered more mature. However, it
requires co-ordination with other routers in the network
(different modes for those with only one control plane and
those with two) and is a little slower compared to NSR.

NSR has generally lagged behind re: protocol support, but
this has been changing in the last 18 months or so, and most
major protocols should now be supported.

You'll probably find more networks running Graceful Restart
rather than NSR, but I'm sure NSR take-up is mounting.

NSR makes more sense if you're looking for more hitless
failovers (it's faster since state is active across both
control planes). But some vendors have had strange bugs when
NSR is deployed. YMMV. Test, test, test.

One of the fears in the past was that whatever caused the
primary control plane to fail would propagate to the
secondary one during a switchover, causing it to fail as
well, when NSR is used. I'm not sure how relevant that still
is today - we've mostly been a Graceful Restart shop here.

> What IGP timer should I use with
> it? OSPF Fast hello will work with NSR and GRES?

Try BFD, along with Graceful Restart or NSF, depending on
what your platform supports.

Cheers,

Mark.