[c-nsp] ASR 9000 as border router

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Jan 3 16:52:04 EST 2011

On Thursday, December 30, 2010 04:14:20 pm Pshem Kowalczyk
wrote:

> The biggest issues we found are around running BFD over
> Ether-bundles, but that's getting fixed as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure how efficient this will be
considering the false positives you can get when one member
of a bundle fails.

But it's not only Cisco that have this problem.

> - more devices on the network (line cards/sfps etc) -
> more things that can go wrong
> - the uplinks between the PEs and the 'aggregation' Ps
> and then onto your CRS will have to be properly
> dimensioned for the traffic, also in fault scenarios
> - the TE will become a little bit more complicated (if
> you run it) - to 'upscale' particular link you'll have
> to 'upscale' at least two links now (PE <-> ASR9k and
> ASR9k <-> CRS1).

It's always a great idea to have a high-density platform in
the Aggregation and Core so you can have that protection for
additional ports in the future as bandwidth requirements go
up.

The biggest problem we've had is when such links are based
on dark fibre. Of course, DWDM solves these kinds of
problems. So the only issue that remains is how big your
Core and Aggregation routers are - with Ethernet being the
main transport option of choice in our case, it's not
uncommon to have non-Core routers (as perceived by the
vendors) running in Core applications, e.g., ASR9000, MX960,
e.t.c. Luckily for the Cisco, the CRS-3 14-port 10Gbps
Ethernet line card is a truly dense blade for this Ethernet
+ POS optimized Core platform :-).

Cheers,

Mark.