[c-nsp] Linecards with Sup32 and bandwidth to the classic-bus

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:22:39 EST 2011

Hi
I have few Catalyst 6500 with Sup32/PFC3B and I have to add some new
GE ports. I found we have a lot of older linecards:

WS-X6408-GBIC
WS-X6408A-GBIC
WS-X6416-GBIC
WS-X6516-GBIC
WS-X6516-GE-TX

As far I know linecards + Sup32 gives me 'classic' connection only
(32Gbps shared bus). But the question is how much bandwidth to
classic-bus I have per each port on above linceards ?

Please correct below if something is wrong:

1) Each linecard in 'classic' connection have 8Gbps Full-Duplex
connectivity to classic-bus
2) So 8 port cards (eg. X6408) will have line-rate connectivity, and
each port can do 1Gb FullDuplex without congession. Even I have two
port groups - 4 ports per 1 ASIC (total 8 ports, 2 ASICs)
3) 16 port card will be 1:2 oversubscribed. But is there some
limitation silimar eg. to WS-X6148-GE-TX linecard that one port group
have some dedicated bandwidth (like 4Gbps) to classic-bus ?
X6516-GE-TX card have two port groups (8 ports in each) and two ASICs
? If not can first 8 ports at linecard can use all 8Gbps bandwidth to
the classic-bus ?

Robert