[c-nsp] redistribute routes leaked from another VRF?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jan 5 07:45:28 EST 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 11:12:05 pm Phil Mayers wrote:

> It's also worth knowing that there's an evolved set of
> this called mvpn-ng (not on Cisco IOS yet unfortunately)
> which dispenses with various of the PIM-in-PIM layering.
> Since 6500/SXI doesn't support it, I've never bothered
> to do more than read the RFC, but the terminology is a
> lot more evolved and addresses some of the concerns like
> inter-AS and such.

I can speak to the NG-MVPN infrastructure. It works very
well, provides great isolation (VRF's) and is quite easy to
deploy.

But as Phil says, sadly, it's not (yet) implemented in IOS.
Only JUNOS, AFAIK.

We've been very happy running it. Not having to enable PIM
in the core is a definite plus.

Watch out for yet another battle here between Cisco and
Juniper. Cisco are pushing mLDP strongly, while Juniper are
heavy on NG-MVPN (which is currently p2mp RSVP-TE-based). As
is now the case with the ASR9000 and other Cisco platforms
now supporting BGP signaling for VPLS, I expect we shall see
Juniper supporting mLDP and Cisco implementing NG-MVPN in
the future, as the battle between the MX and ASR9000 heats
up.

That said, IOS XR currently supports p2mp RSVP-TE (but
without the MVPN part), which means one can potentially have
a Cisco core (based on the CRS or ASR9000, today) and a
Juniper edge for NG-MVPN-based Multicast.

Cheers,

Mark.