[c-nsp] 7600 updates

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:59:16 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi at niif.hu> wrote:

> - sup720/rsp720 series backplane connectivity capacity is 40Gbps

Same like Sup-2T new RSP-2T could do it. Wondering if new Sup-2T will
be MIPS or PPC. Probably PPC and IOS XE same like Sup7 for 4500. This
means Sup-2T can be the same for both - 6500 and 7600 series with
exception regarding IOS features - SR release (7600) versus SX release
(6500).

> - there is no known plan from Cisco to have bigger capacity supervisor for
> 76xx.

In fact currently all 7600-S series chassis can provide 80Gbps per
slot. From 6500-E chassis only 6509-V-E supports 80Gbps per slot. So
7600 is more capable of 40Gbps for linerate 8x10GE cards for near
future.

> - Probably not economical to develop 1 port 40GE card

Like always Cisco can do oversubscribed 1:2 like WS-X6708-10GE :-)
Don't forget about local-switching at DFC... We have 7603-S deployed
where nearly all traffic (90%) is local switched at 8x10GE card. So
oversubscription here is not big deal.

> - If you need router like capabilities Cisco pushes you to go for ASR9K -
> Comparing pricewise 76xx with ES cards and ASR9K with low queue cards there
> is not much difference.

But if you already got a lot od 7600-S chassis and ES/ES+ cards then
... it's like 7600 will dropped to lower capacities PE router.

Robert