[c-nsp] 7600 updates

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Jan 7 09:10:19 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
> My assumption is the following:
> - sup720/rsp720 series backplane connectivity capacity is 40Gbps
> - there is no known plan from Cisco to have bigger capacity supervisor for
> 76xx.
> - Probably not economical to develop 1 port 40GE card
> - If you need router like capabilities Cisco pushes you to go for ASR9K -
> Comparing pricewise 76xx with ES cards and ASR9K with low queue cards there
> is not much difference.
Well, stated previously in this tread the 6500 is getting a 40GbE card

>40G can be expected in 2011 (or early 2012) for ASR9K, Nexus 7000/5000, Cat 6500.

So I can't see any reason for *not* making the same card available for
the 7600, well other than pushing the ASR9K platform...

The same reason you can't do more than 10G per slot FD on the GSR 12810, Cisco wants you to buy more gear once you realize your density is going to be terrible.

-Drew