[c-nsp] Upgrading VSS from Modular SXH to Monolitich SXH > Monolithic SXI

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Fri Jan 7 10:52:03 EST 2011

At least for "normal" (non-VSS), mixed modular/monolithic is unsupported, even for basic RPR. Failure mode is really inelegant -- secondary will just go into a constant crash/reboot cycle. Tried about a year ago to get the DDTS reopened for this to get reported sanely and ran into the "no, it's unsupported" roadblock. The "target" OS needs to be running before the secondary sup is taken out of rommon. Though I'm not certain, I would be surprised if VSS handled this any better.