[c-nsp] Scaling L2

T Johnson tjohnson46 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 19:12:20 EST 2011

I have a virtualization environment that is quickly growing and I tend
to use "smaller" catalyst 2xxx and 3xxx series switches. One problem I
see coming up is running out of MAC address table space on these
switches as well as tons of L2 broadcast traffic.

My question is this: does cisco have a way to deal with this when
you'd want to keep things in one L2 domain (rather than
forcing L3 boundaries)? I see the TRILL/fabricpath stuff, but of
course it only runs on switches I don't have the budget for.

Dreaming up things... it would seem fairly easy if I could just
"route" sets of MAC addresses out to different connected switches.
It's fairly easy to assign MAC addresses on the server side to help support
this. Anything like this possible? Or another solution?

Thanks