[c-nsp] PVLAN Question

Sam Evans wintrmte at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 19:57:05 EST 2011

All,

I am trying to do a PVLAN implementation on one switch in a distribution /
access switch environment.  Ideally, I'd like to just be able to use the
'isolated' command but we have a few devices that will need to talk to port
neighbors, so the PVLAN community would work well.

My challenge here is that the uplink port on the access switch is an 802.1q
trunk to the distribution.  In reading the documentation and not really
fully understanding pvlans, if I set the uplink port to a promisc port I
lose connectivity to the distribution switch.

My config looks something like this (access switch):

vlan 101
  private-vlan isolated
!
vlan 102
  private-vlan community
!
vlan 140
  private-vlan primary
  private-vlan association 101-102
!
vlan 252
 name mgmt-net

interface Vlan252
 ip address 10.0.0.200 255.255.255.0
 no ip route-cache
 no ip mroute-cache

interface GigabitEthernet0/4
 description Uplink to distribution switch
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 140,252
 switchport mode trunk
 no logging event link-status
 no snmp trap link-status
 spanning-tree guard loop
!

Configuration for distribution switch:

interface GigabitEthernet0/9
 description Trunk port to PVLAN switch
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 140,252
 switchport mode trunk
 spanning-tree guard loop

In the normal environment, vlan 140 works fine and servers can talk back to
the gateway (just that they can also talk to each other on the access
switch).

Any suggestions?