[c-nsp] 7600 Clock Redistribution

Kevin Warwashana kevinw at telnetww.com
Thu Jan 13 12:21:19 EST 2011

I am trying to gather clocking from a framed T1 and redistribute it to all
SIP's / SPA's within a 7600's.  Currently I have (2) 7600-SIP-200 with
multiple SPA-4XCT3/DS0 with the network-clock setup to use the built in
stratum 3 on each SIP.

I have read the below document, but am looking to verify a couple things.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_
example09186a0080b2135f.shtml

It seems the SPA-8XCHT1/E can take BITS timing and redistribute it to the
backplane, but the SPA-4XCT3/DS0 can't recover clock from the backplane.  So
does that mean (1) SPA-8XCHT1/E1 would be required per SIP-200 to provide
clocking to the (3) other SPA-4XCT3/DS0 SPA's on the same SIP?

So the SPA-8XCHT1/E1 wouldn't take clocking and distributing it to all the
SIP's/SPA's in the same chassis?

If that is the case then what is recommended?  SONET clocking isn't really
an option since the router only does channelized DS3 and we have plenty of
devices that can distribute stratum 2 BITS.

Thanks,
Kevin