[c-nsp] Scaling L2

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Fri Jan 14 11:36:31 EST 2011

Have you looked at non-cisco equipment.  Juniper EX4200 for example is
comparable in price to the 3750E/X and can do vlan cross connect and
ethernet over mpls.  You can use the circuit cross connect to create a
separate switch with "core" vlans used only to cross connect between groups
of switches.  If you have vlans that you can "prune" from the core
distribution you can free up some mac address space.  Cisco has a similar
feature called vlan-maps but I think it's only supported on the 6500's.