[c-nsp] Constant output drops on etherchannel

cnsp at matthias-mueller.net cnsp at matthias-mueller.net
Fri Jan 14 13:37:23 EST 2011

Depending on the network and the hardware(buffer space) output drops start at 15-20% of linerate traffic. Hardware buffers on lower end switches are usually very low, so output drop happen very often.
One of the main problems leading to micro bursts (leading to buffer related output drops) is network synchronisation, e.g. systems tend to send out periodic packets at the same time (and synchronize over the time). For network protocols algorithms are implemented that avoid that synchronization, but on the application layer there are a lot of protocols, that tend to synchronize over the time (most of the time self developed protocols).
So, seeing problems at 92% linerate is normal, but with enough bad protocols running you can see the same probs at 20% linerate...

Bye,
Matthias