[c-nsp] Cheap switch that runs same version of NX-OS that the nexus 7000 runs?

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Sun Jan 16 21:08:13 EST 2011

On 16/01/2011, at 3:12 AM, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Are there any cheap/old switches out there that you can install the same version of the OS that the Nexus 7000 runs? The main benefit of this would be learning the new commands, etc but not having to buy a Nexus 7000.

no.  you could purchase a Nexus 5000 but given its role is purely an access-layer switch, it does not have the same capabilities as a Nexus 7000.

for the most part, we've worked hard to make NX-OS as close as possible to IOS/C6K.

the only case of where there are significant differences are:
- we used more modern defaults for some things.  e.g. proxy arp disabled by default, ip subnet-zero and ip classless are not needed.
- in IOS, vlan service-policy (qos) is in the SVI config when it really has nothing to do with a SVI per-se.  in NX-OS, its in the vlan config
- everything is 'modular', e.g. MQC for QoS, FNF for NetFlow etc.

i know of many large Nexus deployments where people haven't looked at config guides or documentation in terms of taking an existing switch config and doing it on a N7K.

if you need hands-on time with a N7K there are labs that can be made available.  either from cisco or learning partners.

cheers,

lincoln.