[c-nsp] Strange T3 failure on 7206

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 18 15:24:35 EST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:52:16AM -0800, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> Reconnected to Verizon mux and everything came back up nice and happy.
> That's what is bugging me.  Circuit has been running fine for months.

We've seen that on E3s and T3s as well - seems "sometimes" the stuff
just de-syncs, and physically unplugging the cables helps getting it
to re-sync.  Highly annoying.

(Especially if Telco techs show up, look at your cabling, and claim
"these cables are no good quality!", and go on to demonstrate their
wisdom by unplugging/replugging the "bad cable" - and voila! the link
is back, confirming their "wisdom"...)

And no, I have not found a proper technical explanation yet - but it
doesn't bother us very much as it happens quite infrequently, and we're
using less and less E3/T3 lines.  100M Ethernet links can be had for
roughly the same price, the gear is MUUUUCH cheaper, and the weird
effects are gone as well...

(Now, STM-1/OC-3 and up are a different thing - "proper" data links,
proper syncing and fault monitoring, etc. - but still the gear is way
expensive...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de