[c-nsp] ARP strangeness

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Wed Jan 19 05:16:01 EST 2011

----- "Gert Doering" <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> This sounds like a very very stupid design in the FTTH gear.

But either not unique, or on some popular gear.

I've recently reviewed the spec for a wholesale FTTH offering from a certain incumbent which contains exactly the same caveats.

In my particular case, I'd be sticking a managed Cisco on the end of the service generating (and receiving) IPSLA probes if nothing else, so there should never be silence long enough for the MAC learning to time out.  It was a bit of a "WTF?" moment, though...

Regards,
Tim.