[c-nsp] CoPP IS-IS traffic on N7k

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Jan 24 20:53:00 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> and if they constitute a single "flow"?

Each NDE record lists the number of packets in a given flow, so, yes, absolutely.  Operators make use of this NetFlow capability all the time.

> don't get the wrong idea.  netflow is a great tool to have in the kit bag for diagnosing issues.  but in this case its not necessarily the 'best' tool to pinpoint precisely what might be going on.

It does in fact work quite well for this application - very useful for gaining the necessary information to construct a great deal of one's CoPP policies, for example.

> case in point: lets say its a device flooding control plane with BPDUs.  will netflow show that?

If a given platform team choose to implement FNF on their hardware to include include layer-2 information, sure, there's no reason why it couldn't, although presently nobody's done this, to my knowledge.

;>

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid, with millions
of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but
just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.

			  -- Alan Kay