[c-nsp] q-in-q on 6500 port MTU ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 25 02:22:29 EST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 04:04:45PM -0500, Jeff Fitzwater wrote:
> If I change the port MTU to 1504 will it change the IP MTU globally and if so does that mean I have to reset the switch for it all to take effect?

On 6500, you can change MTU at will, without reloads.  (Reloading gear
to effect config changes is so 1995...)

Whether or not the interfaces IP MTU is affected depends on what type
of interface you have:

interface gi3/5
  no switchport
  ip address 1.2.3.4

--> "mtu 1530" will imply "ip mtu 1530"

interface gi3/6
  switchport
  switch access vlan 700

interface vlan 700
  ip addr 4.5.6.7

-> "mtu 9000" on the g3/6 will NOT affect "ip mtu" on the "vlan 700" SVI.

(And there is no global "ip mtu" on 6500s anyway.  That's a 3750 thing)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de