[c-nsp] FW: Overruns

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Jan 27 11:36:15 EST 2011

On 27/01/2011 16:00, Brett Frankenberger wrote:
> Of course he is.

It certainly adds extra resilience if you have an individual bearer link
failure.  But it also not unreasonable to assume that adding links into a
LAG will increase its throughput.  Unfortunately, this is often not the
case on lots of Cisco hardware - including sup720 based equipment.

Taking your example below, if you had an 8 port LAG and one of them failed,
this would drop you down to a 4 port LAG in terms of throughput.  If you
aren't expecting it, this is astonishing behaviour and have pretty serious
consequences.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the restriction were well
documented by Cisco.  Unfortunately, it's not - you have to dig to find it,
and then infer that the same restrictions in CatOS also apply to IOS.  I
guess it's not something that Cisco like to make too much noise about.

Nick