[c-nsp] Router/switch recommendations for colocation

David Kotlerewsky webnetwiz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:07:49 EST 2011

Sooo, does it have to be Cisco???

I am currently helping a customer with a very similar situation, and I think
based on what you're trying to do here, you should look outside of what
Cisco can offer you. In my mind this is a perfect fit for a Brocade NetIron
CER 2000 switch/router. It can take in multiple BGP feeds, it has MPLS
features if needed, oh, and it's only a 1U box with RPSUs. Also, depending
in the actual model you choose to go with, I think you should be able to get
it cheaper than an ASR, and support costs are lower. Cisco 37XX switches are
really not data center grade for lack of memory/buffer space and MPLS/VPLS
features. I have customers running NetIrons in their cores as well as PoP PE
routers, and everything works as its supposed to.

Just my $0.02

David.