[c-nsp] cisco optics for longhaul fiber

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jul 1 01:30:32 EDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Last summer, I lit a pair of dark fiber links with gig-e line drivers
> that were loaded with optics that can drive up to 120 km at 1550nm.
> The actual distance ended up being about 67 miles (about 110 km IIRC),
> with a 2-point loss of 22 dBm (optics are rated to a minimum receive
> sensitivity of -32 dBm).  As much as I wanted to use Cisco optics that I
> could plug directly into the 6509s at each end, nothing in their
> portfolio would drive a link that far, short of going to optical
> transport shelves...

You can buy SFPs/GBICs that has the same optical properties. Longest I've
seen in production is a ~180km link with ~36 dB attenuation but that was
really on the edge and was out of spec and probably wouldn't survive until
end of life of equipment.

First batch of such GBICs I used was purchased in 2001, this is nothing
new. I'd imagine there are plenty 3rd party available, just start looking
around, I found one within a minute on ebay:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/SFP-module-transceiver-SM-1000Base-ZX-ZHX-1550nm-120Km-/380154921377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5882ffc1a1>

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se